. European Siskin
|This page is Sponsored By:
Your Name, Your Address
Refer to "Advertise on web" web page
|We specialise in xxxxxxxx birds / product
Contact us on: (0X) XXXX XXXX
or e-mail us @ .............
- Scientific Name: ?
- Common Name/s:
- Sub Species in country / area of origin:
- Origin / Distribution: Europe
- Habitat In Wild: ?
- Status In Wild: ?
- Status In (Australian) Captivity:
- Age To Sexual Maturity: ?
- Best breeding years (estimate):
- Sexing: Monomorphic / Dimorphic
- Colour mutations: ?
- Temperament: ?
- Cost (Victoria) Per Pair: -
Normal colour (Approx.) $
- Description Of Adults:
- Length: Approx. 110 - 120 mm (or approx. 4.5 inches)
- Colour ( "normal" colour ): Refer
photo/s above if available.
- Weight: Approx. - gms (or approx. - ozs)
on "Finches - Non Australian" web page
and use in conjunction with details
outlined on this page.
Level Of Knowledge Required:
Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced /
Specialist Breeders Only.
Government Regulations &
By-Laws: Refer to "Government Laws" page.
Click on "Housing birds"
web page for general details on the housing
of Non Australian Finches or read on for specific details for this finch.
Best housed as one pair per planted
Diet / Feeding:
Click on "Feeding birds"
web page for general details on the
nutrition of Non Australian Finches or read on for specific details for this
Live food is not essential but is
beneficial during breeding season.
A basic overview only.
- Roosting nest: Yes / No
- Nesting months: Spring
to mid summer.
- Nesting receptacles:
- Nest: Cup shaped nest
made from fine grasses and other soft materials..
- Who incubates the eggs: Hen / cock / both share.
More details on finch nests
and a selection of finch nest photos
can be located on the "nests", "finch nests"
and "finch nest photos"
web pages. Click on "Up" then "nests" then
"finch nests" and "finch nests photos" in
the navigation bars.
Egg Colour ?. Clutch/s
per year 2 - 3. Eggs per nest 3 - 4. Incubation
approx. 12 - 14 days. Fledge approx. 20 days.
Independent approx. another 4 weeks.
Artificial incubation, hand rearing or fostering will not be
covered on this web site. It is too complex and diverse in nature to be
attempted here. Refer "Specific References" as listed below and
"General References" listings.
Refer "Avian Health Issues"
page for information and references.
- Worming and parasite control and Quarantine
requirements of new birds or sick birds are considered to
require veterinary advice and therefore not covered on this web
site. Refer above option - "Avian Health Issues"
- Avian medicine is advancing at a rapid pace. Keep
updating your knowledge and skills.
Refer to references listed on "Book
References" web page.
- Australian Aviculture
- A/A Vol 49 No. 1 Jan 1995 Page 21-22
- A/A Vol 46 No. 7 July 1992 Page 171-172
- A/A Vol 21 No 3 Mar 1967 Page 55.
- Australian Birdkeeper
- ABK Vol 8 Issue 11. Oct-Nov 1995 Page 544-545
- ABK Vol 6 Issue 8. Apr-May 1993 Page 392-393
- ABK Vol 4 Issue 7. Feb-Mar 1991 Page 327-328
Top of - European siskin- Page